Apple TV has an ingenious interface to see all kinds of content on the big screen of your TV, including streaming video from Netflix, HBO, Amazon or transmissions from your iPhone, iPad or Mac. How can you see it on your Mac? Follow this tutorial to know how to do it.
Apple TV is a useful gadget if you want to transmit content from your Mac, iPhone or iPad to your TV screen. You can also use it to access all kinds of content from third-party video services, since it includes applications for Netflix , Prime Video , HBO , or Sky , among others.
If you have an Apple TV, you may have wondered at some point why it is not possible to obtain the Apple TV software and see all that content directly on the Mac, as is the case with many video streaming services , without dependence on the device .
In fact, Apple had years ago Media Center software known as Front Row, a precursor in many ways of the Apple TV interface, so it is really peculiar that it is not something that Apple makes possible.
It’s something that happens with the contents rented or downloaded from the iTunes Store , which can be seen directly on the Mac, as well as on the iPhone, iPad or Apple TV. But if you want to access the content of your Mac through Apple TV, you can not.
To this day, there is the paradox that it is not even possible to connect an Apple TV to a Mac to see on the computer screen the contents associated with the device.
The same happens if you have an iPad or iPhone and what you want is to be able to transmit content from these to your Mac screen. It may be the case that your TV has a small screen and you want to use a 27-inch iMac.
Fortunately, there are some options to solve these problems and transmit from your iPhone or iPad content to your Mac. While you can not use the Apple TV interface on your Mac, you can transmit almost all the content as follows.
How to stream content from an iPad or iPhone to your Mac
Many Apple users may think that the solution is to use Apple’s AirPlay technology to connect the devices and transmit content from the iPhone or iPad to the Mac. However, the solution is not as efficient as it seems.
In this way, to be able to transmit content from an iOS device to a Mac, it is necessary to resort to the installation of an application. There are a couple to choose from, as we will see below, being our preferred AirServer and Reflector.
If you want to connect your Mac or MacBook to the TV , follow the steps indicated in this article, regardless of the model of equipment you have.
The Reflector application, which you can download here , offers a free trial period of 7 days so you can see its functionality. In addition, its price is quite economical compared to other similar tools, with an option for various devices.
Somehow, Reflector makes it possible for you to create an image of the screen of your iPad or iPhone on the Mac, or on any other device with a larger screen. Proceed as follows:
- Download and install the Reflector software on your Mac (you will see a message that warns you about its installation, a legitimate application).
- If you only use the trial version, you will see watermarks and a message will appear that will prevent your use after 7 days.
- With Reflector running on the Mac, go to your iPhone or iPad, open the content you want to transmit and tap the ‘Share’ icon (the one that corresponds to a square with an arrow that comes out of it).
- Choose AirPlay among the proposals offered by the iOS operating system.
- Next, you will see the option to transmit to your Mac, what you can do as soon as you enter the AirPlay code that appears on your Mac’s screen.
The AirServer application also has a 14-day free trial version that also has a watermark, although this time it is not so intrusive. The full license is not very expensive either, starting at € 16.99.
- Download and install the application on your Mac. You must approve its installation, since it is not downloaded directly from the Mac App Store. You must also allow AirServer to control your computer in the ‘Security and privacy’ settings.
- Once installed, you will not see an interface. The only indication will be an icon in the menu bar that looks a little like AirDrop or icon sharing on a Mac.
- Now, if you unlock your iPhone or iPad and find what you want to transmit to your Mac, click on the ‘Share’ icon and choose ‘AirPlay’.
- Once again, you will see that your Mac appears as an option to transmit the desired content. Press the icon and it will start transmitting immediately without having to introduce any security code.
How to connect an Apple TV to a Mac
At this point, you should know that although you can transmit content from your Mac to your TV screen through your Apple TV, you can not stream content from your Apple TV to your Mac.
Also Read: How To Answer & Make A Call On Apple Watch
As we mentioned before, if you have a computer screen that has HDMI connections, you can connect it easily using a cable of this type to use it as you would with your TV screen.
Hope you liked the article How to Watch Apple TV on Mac. Stay tuned with us to get amazing tutorials and tech news on daily basis.