Disco Dingo was released on April 18 and the overall impression is good, mainly because it has improved the fluidity of the operating system. But it has also come with some other change or bug that can reduce the user experience. One of the changes that Ubuntu 19.04 has introduced is that the Dynamic Transparency of the upper bar is no longer available but, as we always say, GNOME is very customizable, although sometimes we have to take a tour of the web to know how to make certain changes.
The Dynamic Transparency we are talking about makes the top bar change color depending on what we have open. If nothing touches it, the bar will be transparent, so, by default, we will see only the white text floating on the screen above the purple of the Disco Dingo wallpaper. Getting it is relatively easy; we only need to clone the extension (recommended) and activate it with GNOME Retouching (recommended) or dconf. Below you have the steps to follow to recover the aforementioned Dynamic Transparency.
Activate Dynamic Transparency with Retouching
The steps (recommended) to follow are the following:
- We cloned the project with this command:
- The above will download the extension in our personal folder. Now we go to our personal folder and access the “dynamic-panel-transparency” folder.
- Copy the folder “email@example.com” into “our personal folder / .local / share / gnome-shell / extensions”. If the “extensions” folder is not there, we create it.
- The next step is to restart the shell , which we can do with Alt + F2 (plus the Fn key on devices that have it active), by entering the “r” key without the quotes and pressing Enter. If this does not work, something that you know in the next step because otherwise it would not appear, we restart the operating system.
- Next we open GNOME Retouching. If we do not have it installed, we can look for it in the software center or by installing gnome-tweak-tool from the terminal.
- We go to “Extensions” and activate “Dynamic panel transparency”. And that would be all.
From the gear of the options we can configure some parameters, such as the speed of the transition from transparent to dark. That’s already the consumer’s taste. How do you prefer it?